[Bug][Fix] Making Wonderland makeActorFrom: work again

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 14 21:00:36 UTC 2002

In class this morning, I tried to demonstrate Wonderland
makeActorFrom: in 3.2-4599...and found that it just plain didn't
work.  "w makeActorFrom: 'blah...shark.mdl" would create a shark
actor, but nothing would show up on the screen and no sub-components
of shark would load in.  I then tried it in 3.2 gamma -- nothing
there either.  I then tried on multiple Windows VMs and on Macintosh
-- no go there, either.  I did find that 3.1 still worked fine.  (And
that's what I ended up giving my demo in, after 10 minutes of
feverish twiddling.)

I dug in deeper and found that Andreas re-wrote makeActorFrom: in
October.  I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working (and there were
no comments explaining why it was different), but I found that Jeff's
original version was still in the versions (attached).  I loaded that
in, and everything was golden -- everything SEEMED to be working
again.

Is there a fix for Andreas' makeActorFrom:?  Is there something that
I've got screwed up now that I'm back to using Jeff's?

Mark

--
Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu