Read-eval loop with prompt + user input

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Thu Mar 14 19:18:31 UTC 2002

On 14 Mar 2002, Martin Drautzburg wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
>
> > That's called a Workspace in Squeak. Open it from the world menu or the
> > right flap.
>
> Thanks, I wasn't aware of the fact that you don't have to highlight
> before pressing Alt-D. But how could I read user Input from the
> Workspace, other than commands. I mean something like
> login:
> password:

You can write your own commands that take parameters:

Create a class DrautzburgUtilities with some class methods.

Then you can call these methods froma workspace with

   DrautzburgUtilities myFirstMethodForUser: 'Martin' password: 'Rhein'.

In Smalltalk terminology a message send consists of a selector and
arguments.

In the example
#myFirstMethodForUser:password:

is the selector, while

'Martin' and 'Rhein'

are the parameters.

Within the method you can do your things. Using class side methods
results in having a singleton.

With this approach you can build a up a text based user interface
in no time:

Just have a workspace open with some command in it - click at the line you
are interested in and hit ALT-D. This works similar to Oberon. (Well
actually Wirth copied the concept from Smalltalk).

Various GUI oriented approaches are possible as well, but need more time.

Cheers
Hannes Hirzel