Scamper & Gecko ?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 15 20:36:25 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at advantive.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> So, if Gecko isn't too hard to integrate and will result in a more
> compatible and capable web browser, then I'm all for it.  I'd certainly
> use it.
Exobox used the mozilla/gecko stuff with some success. As I recall there
were two approaches tried.

One somehow intercepted all the drawing calls and implemented them via
morphs. This turned out to be rather slow but incredibly flexible. I
wonder if it could be done more successfully now with faster machines
and improving vm/morhpic code.

The other did some fudging with the X system to allow mozolla to keep
its own window and somehow merge that with the Squeak window. Obviously
this night have some problems withrunning on other os's.

I imagine another possibility would be to divert all the drawing to a
single morph and munge the events etc to suit.

tim

Useful random insult:- He hasn't a single redeeming vice.  -- Oscar Wilde