State of FFI and cousins?

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Sat Mar 16 16:08:02 UTC 2002

Howdy all!

I just wondered if anyone could sortof "sum up" our current ability in Squeak to interface
external libraries. As far as I know we have:

* FFI - Foreign Function Interface. A general mechanism for calling dynamic libraries. Has some
form of "smarts". I believe there was some work in making the FFI even "smarter"? Or perhaps it
was plugins...

* Plugins - Our current main mechanism for interfacing with libraries and also writing performance
critival sections in Slang. Faster than FFI but also more coding required.
The Pythoneers (and others) have access to Swig (I think) etc. Since this is not really my area
(my C is rusty and my plugin/VM knowledge is purely theoretical sofar) perhaps someone could set
me straight on a few questions:

1. Are we missing key pieces? How about callbacks? That has been discussed recently I think.
2. Is it easier/harder to "glue" an external library to Squeak than to (for example) Python?

Thanks in advance guys, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek