[Q][Celeste] address book and auto-save

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 16 17:02:04 UTC 2002

rwithers12 at attbi.com wrote:
> Um, we somehow seem to be missing each other on this idiom discussion.
> Have you ever used Outlook or Eudora? :)   You know how they have some
> extra columns and highlighting, which basically allows one to annotate
> the emails with 'flagged' or 'unread'?  This is the idiom I am thinking
> of - not the category idiom.  I see your point that you can use filters
> and categories to do the same kind of thing, especially since you can
> put the same msg in multiple categories.  It is just taking getting use
> to.

For read and unread, I'm 100% sure that categories will do very nicely.
I don't know if they'd be better or worse, but they'd be very good.

For marked/unmarked, I'm not so sure.  At any rate, there should be UI
support for at least one mark.  E.g., if anything is marked, then "move
all" should probably be replaced by "move marked".  And the mark should
appear in the display.  Still, it's not *as* big of a deal if you have
filters.  You can, e.g., select all messages with some keyword in the
subject, very easily, and so there are fewer times that you'd manually
mark a bunch of messages.

> I also came across the method #format,

This isn't used now.  Nowadays, formatting of messages is almost always
turned on, and it is toggled with the "supress message headers" toggle.
(This should be renamed to something like "show raw message" (which is
the inverse).  "Supressing headers" is unclear, and it isn't even the
only thing the formatter does, anyway.)

> > > I did this.  It worked!   I found my lost mail or it found me,
> >
> > Great to hear!  Though it sucks that the UI didn't bring out this
> > feature....
>

> It is in the menu, but I just didn't know that the MailDB was even recoverable.
> I think it is fantastic that it is and now I have a consistent
> cross-platform email reader!  One other item I would like, is the fetch and
> send buttons in the button bar.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to detect a crash, and offer a suggestion
to the user....  But anyway, this issue is mostly gone now in Filter
Celeste, so I guess it's not a big deal.  Also, it's probably another
menu name that could be improved....

-Lex