Category <-> Modules walkback question

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 18 11:48:08 UTC 2002

Serg Koren <Serg at VisualNewt.com> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>   Just going thru the  Squeak - A Quick Trip To Objectland book (great); and
> have come across a few differences between the version the book uses and the
> 3.3alpha I'm playing with.  I haven't puttered with Modules and have come
> across an interesting (to say the least) walkback when I try to create a new
> category via a normal system browser | add item ...
>
>  "You can't do it this way using modules...categories are computed using
> module paths."
>
> Ok I understand (sorta) what this means, but there is no indication of the
> proper way of dealing with creating a category...and I can't find anything

Currently (in 3.3alpha where modules are introduced) class categories
are replaced with modules. There has been discussion about that, but
personally I think one way of grouping classes is enough (modules).

As a sidenote - the modules have been introduced in 3.3alpha but there
are no tools yet in the image. But two tools have seen the light, one of
them is:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2362

The other was recently announced (an enhanced browser) on the list.

> scanning my email archives.  Can someone point me in the right direction
> please?  Also, seems the AddItem prompter should be disabled in the main

Swiki... Start here:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2042

regards, Göran