[Sunit] Puzzled by changes 3.0-3.1

rwithers12 at attbi.com rwithers12 at attbi.com
Sun Mar 17 20:27:04 UTC 2002

Martin Drautzburg <martin.drautzburg at web.de> wrote:
> I just made the transition from 3.0 to 3.1 and noticed that TestCase
> has changed. Value:shouldRaise: seems to have changed to should:raise:
>
> I would expect since XP emphasisies writing tests so much, the testing
> framework would be the last thing to change. I doubt that everybody
> is now  adapting their tests.
>
> Did I miss something here ?

Hi Martin,

No you didn't miss anything.  What happened was that the SUnit test
framework is developed through the Camp Smalltalk aegis.   The SUnit
framework did evolve from its version 2.7 to its version 3.0 with a lot
of changes (these are not Squeak versions).  This framework is used in
all dialects of Smalltalk, so the framework, in squeak, was upgraded to
this version.  There are a few changes to the TestCase testing/assertion
methods and the UI changed significantly.  I believe that someone has a
port of the old test runner called TestRunner2.  It is probably on the
SQFIXES page in the swiki somewhere.

The 3.0 SUnit framework shouldn't change again...  At least as far as
the TestCase and TestResource stuff goes.   There have already been
several different UIs posted, including a hierarchicalTestRunner by
myself and a TestRunner + Browser someone else (it looks very nice,
although I haven't tried it).

Rob