Mouse/Keyboard event handling -- why does SimpleButtonMorph delay?

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Mon Mar 18 21:45:13 UTC 2002

I've got a problem I'm hoping someone has a quick answer for. If not,
I'll dig...

I've got an application that is doing animation through stepping of
Morphs. I have some SimpleButtonMorphs that control some stuff.

Here's the problem: if I click a button while animation is going on,
the button action doesn't happen until the mouse is moved. The button
highlights on mouse down, but it doesn't seem to see the mouse up
until I subsequently move the mouse.

If there's less going on (no animation active) it works as expected.
If I press and hold the button for a second or so before releasing
it, it works as expected. But a brief click needs that additional
mouse move. Or an additional keyboard event (like pressing the shift
key) seems to be able to substitute for the mouse move.

This behavior is the same on Windows, Mac 9, Mac X.... Woops, just
tested and there's a slight difference. Under the Mac X VM a keypress
or a mouse move will 'unstick' the button, but on Windows it seems to
have to be a mouse move.

Any help will be appreciated. This is a live theatre application, and
when you press a button the application has to react *now*.

Thanks,

-Martin