32-bit BMP problems.

Yisrael Lowenstein gte356h at prism.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 17 07:25:11 UTC 2002

I have been working with loading bitmaps in squeak to do Digital Video
Special Effects for SqueakEnd and have come across a problem:

here's my test code:

aform := Form fromBMPFileNamed: 32bitbitmap.BMP.
Transcript show: (aform colorAt: 1 at 1).

this will return "Color transparent" even though it is clearly not!

I have narrowed the problem down to the fact that these are represented
differently internally than other 32 bit forms.  if you explore the bitmap
of aform, you will se a bunch of SmallIntegers.  If you grap a 32 bit
bitmap from the screen (using "anotherForm := Form fromUser." while you
are in a 32-bit display depth) and explore that form's bitmap, you will
see that it is made up of LargePositiveIntegers.  Consequently, colorAt:
works just great on anotherForm...

So, event though both of these (the fromUser form and the bmp-file form)
claim to be 32-bit forms, they are represented differently internally.  Is
this a bug?  or some sort of limitation?  how can I get around it?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

	Lushi

 o      |Yisrael Lowenstein: Computer Science Master's Student & Squeaker
   ()  o|lushi at bigfoot.com; gte356h at prism.gatech.edu; lushi at cc.gatech.edu
o_/||\/ |"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way
   ||   | when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his
  _/\_  | shoes." - Unknown                    AIM: YisraelL  ICQ: 1037061
  Class Schedule: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte356h/schedule/