[BC] Trouble with pre-built image

Maurice Rabb m3rabb at stono.com
Tue Mar 19 20:05:01 UTC 2002

I downloaded the pre-built BC image and changes from the Swiki at:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2119

and filed in the last-minute fix:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/2119/BCDebugSelectionFix-ajh.1.cs

Unfortunately the debugger still doesn't appear to be working
correctly with halt.

try:	5 halt factorial.

In the debugger UndefinedObject>>DoIt holds:

ERROR "getting sourceCode: UndefinedObject class errorNoDecompilerYet?"

What updates do I need to file in to bring the BC image up to date?

I read the following from the archives:

RE: Updating BC to 3.3alpha (was: [BC][FIX] Block Closures, Version 2 Fix)
>I see the problem.  Changeset 4717 is missing a closing quote on its
>preamble.  That is what produces the syntax error.  For some reason the
>standard image does not choke on this syntax error but BC does.  To work
>around it add the closing quote in the Syntax Error window (and remove
>the "Unmatched comment quote ->" tag), save, and then proceed through
>the notifier.
>
>If your using the pre-converted image, before getting updates you have to
>change "SystemVersion current" version to 'Squeak3.3alpha' and rollback
>its highestUpdate to 4653 before getting 3.3alpha updates.  You also
>have to remove all number above 4653 in its updates set.  (PhiHo might
>have figured this out already).  The next time I put up a pre-converted
>image, I will only update it to 3.2alpha-4652, so you can easily go to
>3.2gamma or 3.3alpha (or maybe I'll post both image versions).

I performed the following:

SystemVersion current
     version: 'Squeak3.3alpha';
     highestUpdate: 4653;
     updates removeAllSuchThat: [:each | each > 4653].

all _ ChangeSorter allChangeSets.
(ChangeSorter changeSetsNamedSuchThat:
     [:name | name first isDigit and: [name initialIntegerOrNil > 4653]])
	do: [:cs | all remove: cs wither].

Utilities readServerUpdatesThrough: 4716 saveLocally: true updateImage: true.

But Squeak returns a notification saying that there are no updates to
be filled in.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Maurice

BTW, The BC VM is quite zippy, and the IR parser stuff is really nice!