Using CCodeGenerator for something beyond Plugins

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Mar 19 22:38:24 UTC 2002

I'm interested in using the Slang support (CCodeGenerator/TParseNode and
friends) for emitting C for embedded systems.

However, the existing classes won't work for more general cases, where there
may be more than one object of a particular class. The Plugins convert
instance variables into globals and throw away self.

I was wondering whether anyone has come up with versions of these that differ
from the Plugin versions as follows:

* instance variables become structure members rather than globals
* don't throw away self; instead pass as initial pointer argument

Later, I'll want to do versions of these that generate assembly language or
microcontroller byte code.

Oh yes, and I'm generating the Smalltalk with the scripting system. It
promises to be an interesting system: draw state diagrams, drag tiles into
scripts, then hit the "generate C" button...

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com