Headless Squeak???

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Mar 19 23:50:17 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 03:43 pm, John Chludzinski  wrote:
> I'm using Squeak to develop control software for a robot; both are using
> Linux.  Currently, I'm using another Linux box  for the X-server (running
> the display remotely) - for development purposes.  But the time will come
> when I'll just want to run Squeak without the UI.  I've heard tell of
> running Squeak without its GUI - a.k.a. headless Squeak.
>
> Can someone tell me more about this and how to accomplish this?

There is a -headless switch to the VM that you can use. For instance, I run a
Swiki like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/httpd/ComSwiki
/usr/local/bin/squeak3.1 -headless -memory 40M squeak.image &

If you use the OSProcess module, you can go headless after starting, and then
reconnect to a UI later.

However, I believe you still have to link the VM with the X libraries.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com