[ENH] ColorScrollBars-dew

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Mar 20 05:12:13 UTC 2002

Diego Gomez Deck wrote:

> Hi...
>
>> This is a slightly updated version of my colored/flat-look scrollbar
>> changeset, intended for inclusion in 3.3alpha.  After discussing with
>> Andreas, I modified this one to use my flat look for the inboard
>> scrollbar, and uses the rounded look for the flop-out scrollbar, since
>> the rounded scrollbar was mainly designed for the flop-out type.
>>
>> It also makes various other Color and window look fixes and
>> improvements.
>
> [snip]
>
> The new look for scrollbar is great... Also the changes un Color methods
> gives to squeak an renewed and prettier look.

Thanks.

Although actually, the changes to the Color methods (#lighter, #darker,
etc.) had problems with handling transparent and translucent colors...
the alpha value was not preserved.

This had a side effect in a few places, such as selecting items in an
ObjectExplorer list.  (Sending #darker to a transparent color would turn
it black.  Now it stays transparent.  Hmm, this still causes a minor
oddity in the ObjectExplorer... originally, it used to blend with black
and get a little darker.  But I tend to think that the correct behavior
for sending #darker or #lighter to a completely transparent color
(alpha=0) is for it to remain completely transparent.)

Anyway, here's a new version which fixes the color problem.

- Doug Way
   dway at riskmetrics.com