Native Windows VM extension

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Mar 21 17:38:19 UTC 2002

Frank Sergeant <frank at canyon-medical.com> wrote:
> "Frank Lesser" <Frank-Lesser at Lesser-Software.com> wrote:
> > Recently we got some interest on our "LSWST Squeak Windows-Bindings"
> > which we made a year ago.
> > We didn't publish yet and finally decided first not do so.
> > We don't want to publish our work and loose any control over it. So we
> > like to publish a VM-extension ( DLL )
>
> I have a certain sympathy for your concern, but ...
>
> > which must be registered with us but is available free of charge and is
> > intended for non-commercial use.
>
> I feel restricting commercial use is antithetical to the general Squeak
> spirit.  (Maybe native Microsoft Windows bindings are antithetical also
> -- half joking.)
>
> > Please give us response whether we should resume this work
> > (synchronization with the BC-VM must be done ).
>
> I would say no, don't bother if it would not be freely useable.
[SNIP]

I concur with Frank Sergeant, since this extension to the VM (and I do
not think that the license allows distribution of modifications to the
VM under a proprietary license, but of course, whether a plugin is
considered a modification is an open question I guess) would have to be
coupled with substantial work in the image to be useful, I don't think
many of us would like to spend that time unless the underlying
foundation is also under the SqueakL.

And even if someone would like to produce such code it, my guess is that
it would never enter "main" Squeak.

regards, Göran