[ENH][GOODIE][FIX] OSProcess V3.0.1

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Mar 22 04:07:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:24:42AM +0000, Keith Hodges wrote:
> Two Questions,
>
> can someone indicate to me which versions of squeak OSProcess is supposed
> to work with. I have not managed to file it in successfully without walkbacks.
>
> Secondly, I believe that this supports Unix, but there is no mention as to
> whether or not MacOS X counts or not? Not being able to file it in means
> that I cant test this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Unix and Linux: OSProcess should work. Please let me know if it does
not work on whatever flavor you have.

MacOS-X: Yes, this is Unix; but no, OSProcess does not yet work.
Maybe in another couple of weeks. John McIntosh has recently starting
looking into making this work, and I think it can be done, just a
few more bugs and gotchas to figure out.

Windows: Works for simple things like running a Win32 program from
Squeak.  Some things are not yet implemented, but the basics are there.
Eventually, the Windows version should be able to work just as well
as the Unix flavors. Give it a few months to mature.

RiscOS for Acorn: Not yet, but it would be a shame not to do this.

As for the walkbacks, see the message from Bert. The walkback is
apparently a bug in something I stuck in the postscript.  Sorry about
that. If you could please let me know what flavor of operating system
and Squeak image it is blowing up with, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Dave