[FIX] Color >> asColorref

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Mar 22 04:05:29 UTC 2002

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:

> Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>  > "Change Set:		ColorRefFix
>  > Date:			24 February 2002
>  > Author:			Hannes Hirzel
>  >
>  > The method Color >> asColorref which converts a Color to a RBG value now
>  > gives back
>  > really Red-Green-Blue."
>  >
>  >
>  > Conversion examples:
>  >
>  > Color red asColorref hex  '16rFF0000'
>  > Color green asColorref hex  '16rFF00'
>  > Color blue asColorref hex  '16rFF'
>  > Color cyan asColorref hex  '16rFFFF'
>  > Color yellow asColorref hex  '16rFFFF00'
>  > Color magenta asColorref hex  '16rFF00FF'
>
> I thought maybe this was discussed briefly, but I couldn't find any
> replies to this.
>
> Anyway, does anyone know if the term "Colorref" has a standard meaning
> (on Windows, I believe)?  I think a ColorRef is possibly supposed to be
> reversed from the typical RGB order, but I'm not sure.  So then Hannes'
> fix to switch it to RGB wouldn't be good.
>
> Or if someone has a testcase or good example of where this method would
> be used, that would be helpful.
>
> In any case, there is definitely a bug in the current method, because it
> accesses "self green" twice, and never accesses "self blue", so at least
> that should be fixed.
>
> - Doug Way
>    dway at riskmetrics.com

Doug,

this has not just a Windows meaning it is used in the HTML (and  other)
contexts.

I need and RGB color (in this sequence) for doing HTML/CSS export. See
Chuck Musciano & Bill Kennedy, HTML & XHTML, Fourth Edition, 2000,
O'Reilly; paragraph 4.6.3.2. - the color attribute.

Perhaps you could include this reference in the comment, so it's clear
why this was done in the future.

Regards

Hannes Hirzel