[Dynapad] Resizing on a Touchscreen?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Mar 22 15:49:08 UTC 2002

On Friday 22 March 2002 01:45 am, Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> I've been using Kevin's TinySqueak 3.0 image on my iPAQ 3150 w/
> PocketPC 2000.  When I grab a yellow-dot handle, it goes into resize mode.
> On the desktop, when one releases the mouse button, it goes out of
> resize-mode.  However, on the iPAQ, it stays in resize mode.  The only
> remedy I've found so far is to restart (!) the image whenever I
> accidentally hit a resize handle.  I've not tried to figure out where
> resizing occurs, and compared the sources between 3.0 and 2.6 yet, but
> just thought I'd check to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.
>
> Yoshiki's Morphic.image Squeak 2.6 image doesn't exhibit this problem.

The problem is that the window resizing code uses mouse-over detection and
there aren't mouse-over events in the stylus environment, generally. So you
only get mouse move events when the stylus is down.

I have several times posted a change set that simulates pen-based systems (by
filtering mouse move events) so that interested parties could fix it, but no
one has so far.

The window resizing code generates a HandleMorph that then goes into a loop
following the cursor; unfortunately (as I recall) it's waiting for a
mouseDown that never arrives.

I'd fix this by changing the state logic of the resizing handles.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com