[Unix][VM] Sound (was: Re: [GOODIE] kgf-X10Driver - Control Wireless Remotes from Squeak)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 22 15:56:38 UTC 2002

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, John Hinsley wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > > PS should /dev/dsp really be
> > > 0 crw------- 1 tim root /dev/dsp
> > > ? Is this why I get no sound from squeak, but a console message of
> > > /dev/dsp: No such device whenever I try the sound stuff?
> >
> > Maybe, but I doubt it: I used to get the /dev/dsp: No such device
> > message when I had no sound module installed (because I didn't have a
> > supported sound card).
>
> True. I have the same permissions and sound works fine.
Oh rats. Bang goes that simple fix then.

It really is too bad; I know that sound can work, it used to work, but 'upgrading' my machine has left it mute. Kind people have suggested all sorts of things and none of them seem to work.

tim

Useful random insult:- A .22 caliber intellect in a .357 Magnum world.