[PDA] Connecting Squeak at high speed?!

Swan, Dean Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Fri Mar 22 22:53:59 UTC 2002

Andreas,

	The normal MS Active Sync application connects to the iPaq via TCP/IP, so all you should need to do is connect it up, run Active Sync and that's it (assuming that the USB connection is fast enough).  The iPaq will have some '192.168.x.y' IP address, but it shouldn't be too hard to determine - ping a known address and use an IP sniffer at worst.

	Quite a while ago Alexandre Lazarevic got Scamper and Celeste working via a proxy server on the Casio E-105 using this method.  I forget the exact details, but John Maloney might remember.

									-Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Raab [mailto:Andreas.Raab at gmx.de]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 1:37 PM
To: 'Ohshima, Yoshiki'; squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Subject: RE: [PDA] Connecting Squeak at high speed?!

Hi Yoshiki,

>   What's the hardware restrictions?

None, really. It's a concept demo so whatever works, works. The only
issue is that the PC must be a windows machine because it uses some
weird library which is not available on other platforms.

> > * Are there any other (in particular faster) options?
> >   [Note: For this demo, transmission speed is critical.
> >   USB should work okay but if there's anything faster,
> >   I'd love to hear about it].
> > * What can I expect in terms of transmissions rates?
> > * How do you access the USB connection from both parties?
>
>   802.11b wireless card gives you 4-6M bits/sec connection.

This would be about perfect. But is there any such hardware available
for the iPAQ?! And how does one use it - is it just like any other
network?

> Squeak on iPAQ can open the port as a SerialPort at maximum
> speed of 115200k bits/sec, as I recall, but I don't know if
> it can communicate with Windows PC.

Well, if the iPAQ part works I can surely make the Win part happening
;-)

> > Oh, and what's the "best" VM to use here?! The iPAQ is
> > running WCE at the moment.
>
>   I have four VMs, combination of portlait/landscape and
> with/without IPP JPEG.  (IPP JPEG decoder decodes a 320x240
> JPEG file in 50ms.  Even you can implement movie-ish thing
> with it.)

This would definitely help. Not all of the data is images but a large
part is so using JPEGs could make a real difference here. Are these VMs
up somewhere?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas