Object pointers

Chris Becker chb99 at msn.com
Sat Mar 23 03:47:15 UTC 2002

Thank you Tim for putting it this way ... "the symbol *is* the referent" ...
I was hoping someone would say that, because that was *my* understanding
until I got into this mess!! And truth be told, I have always *hated*
pointers, which is one reason I *love* Smalltalk.

Basically, I'm trying to create relationships between objects using
Association. But I became alarmed today when I did the following:

assoc := Association new.

aKey := 'keystring'.
aValue := 'valuestring'.

assoc key: aKey value: aValue.

aValue := 'new value'.

assoc value  ==>  'valuestring'

This made me think that the association was storing a *copy* of aValue in
its own instance.

Exactly what is going on in this situation?

(Hmm ... I think I just realized the answer to that question ... but I'd
love a nice technical description so I can erase all memory of C++ from my
mind.)

Thanks for your help,

Chris