[Database][MinneStore] Re: performance...

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Sat Mar 23 08:32:27 UTC 2002

Benoit St-Jean <bstjean at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am considering using MinneStore for a small
> personnal project.  Problem is that I am not sure
> about how Minnestore reacts as more and more records
> get into the database.

> I am not planning on storing big and complex
> inter-related objects but rather a *lot* of very small
> and simple objects.

Why don't you set up a test on your own and publish the results.
It should be relatively straighforward:

- Generate let's say 100'000 objects.
- Store them
- Retrieve them
--> at random
--> in sequence

-let the test run for some time (e.g. a day)
-collect statistical data and measure the time.
-publish the results

Looking up what's written about Minnestore prompted to ask:

Where is the current place of minnestore?

Swiki page http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1051
mentions that the URL below is the current one:

http://minnestore.sourceforge.net/index.html

But this has a copyright notice of 1999 and the implementation is for
Squeak version 2.7.

Is there really no newer version?

What I would like to have for my work is a persistence mechanism which
is totally transparent for the user. I would like to see just one large
image (say 500MB) and work in a 64MB RAM machine. The underlying
mechanism would take care of swapping in and out objects.

I am aware of the the solution using ImageSegments
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2316) associated to projects. But
there the swapping is synchroniszed with project entering and leaving
which is fine in many cases.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel