[Unix][VM] Sound (was: Re: [GOODIE] kgf-X10Driver - Control Wireless Remotes from Squeak)

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 23 23:07:13 UTC 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, John Hinsley wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > > PS should /dev/dsp really be
> > > 0 crw------- 1 tim root /dev/dsp
> > > ? Is this why I get no sound from squeak, but a console message of
> > > /dev/dsp: No such device whenever I try the sound stuff?
> >
> > Maybe, but I doubt it: I used to get the /dev/dsp: No such device
> > message when I had no sound module installed (because I didn't have a
> > supported sound card).
>
> True. I have the same permissions and sound works fine.
>
> Does the volume control work for others? I mean the one in the Nav Bar
> after you enabled includeSoundControlInNavigator? It changes the volume
> here but with a lot of clicks and not proportionally - actually it seems
> rather random to me ...

I find it actually moves too fast to be very easy to control (hence I tend to
use kmixer to adjust volume instead) but I get no clicks (this is with the
ens1371.o stuff for a soundblaster installed).

Cheers

John
--
They're afraid, very afraid......
According to CRN magazine, Microsoft staff discovering Linux in use