reading projects from the net - working ?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Mar 24 22:37:24 UTC 2002

On 24 Mar 2002 19:35:07 +0100 Martin Drautzburg <martin.drautzburg at web.de> wrote:
>I recently tried to download
>        209.143.91.36/super/uploads/LearningMorphic.013.pr
>
>        I tried that withing scamper from 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2gamma. Also
>        I tried downloading the file first and then loading that file.
>
>        I got "Reading an instance or FromStub, which modern class
>        should it translate to ?" in the older versions.
>
>        The 3.2 gamma gave me: "Trouble reloving server name
>        LearningMorphic.013. Keep trying. And lots of DNUs.
>
>My question is: do people really use this project downloading or is
>this more like an unsupported feature ? Am I doing something wrong ?

Martin,

As to loading this (a fairly new project) into older versions of squeak, there may well be problems. Since squeak is constantly moving forward, the simplest assumption is that people will be using somewhat current versions and projects are published for those versions. I was able to load it in squeak 3.2 with no problems:

- click the Find button on the project navigator
- select Bobs SuperSwiki from the list in the blue finder
- select the desired project from the list at the right
- click the OK button at the top of the blue picker

-or-

- point a File List at BSS
- select the file
- choose 'load as project' from the menu on the file list pane

Cheers,
Bob