Shrinking Squeak...

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Mon Mar 25 18:06:17 UTC 2002

In theory, you'd just evaluate "Smalltalk majorShrink". That method is defined
in SystemDictionary.

Three things:
  1. It currently doesn't work perfectly (it tends to get broken as things
      are added to the image, then fixed, then broken, then fixed...)

  2. You may down to a smaller image with less work by starting with
      an older Squeak release. For example, you can get down to about
      835 kbytes doing majorShrink on a 2.4 image. I'd suggest trying
      the 2.8 release for starters.

  3. For a really small image, look for Dan's "mini Squeak" which is
      still on our servers somewhere. This image was small enough to
      run on a Casio palmtop with, I think, only 640 kbytes of total
      memory.

Good luck!

	-- John