[Unix][VM] Sound (was: Re: [GOODIE] kgf-X10Driver - Control Wireless Remotes from Squeak)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 26 02:35:19 UTC 2002

John Hinsley <johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I wonder if the issue is connected to Linux distros (SuSE, at least) changing
> from compiled into Kernel sound support to modules? Do you have any kind of
> sound utility on your install CD?
Thanks to helpful suggestions frma variet of people (particularly Bran Keefer) I now have working Squeak sound - Yay!

The key seems to have been finding sndconfig and installing it ( which required installing another half-dozen things - oh, the joy of modules :-)  and trying out successive setting of the soundblaster drivers until sometihng worked. Finally it did and I got to hear Linus T explain how to say linux. Funny, it didn't sound much like he did last time I bumped into him. Still, the three-part trio (are there four part trios?) in the Fun With Music project worked, so I'm much happier.

Thanks very much everyone.

> Can someone who knows their RedHat and is passing by Tim pop in and sort out
> his sound and Netatalk?
Ah, now there's another story....

tim
Useful random insult:- Watching programs not listed in TV Guide.