Squeak for everyday use??

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 26 20:34:47 UTC 2002

Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at vsnl.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Hi,
>
> Lets suppose, I want to use Squeak on a regular basis for the following
> tasks, how could I possibly go around achieving my goals?
>
> 1. Web surfing (not too heavy, mostly googling around)
Currently just possible but not good for many websites; they rely on badly written javascript, terribly mangled html and probably even worse java. Many sites do terribly things with tables.

Scamper is amazing in that it works at all but it needs a great deal of work to come close to what most web users would consider a first class browsing experience. The effort would be large to make much improvement; consuder how much work goes into Mozilla or internet exploder or even the smaller browsers like Opera. Even assming we can do fives times better - because after all we're better people with a better system to work on - it still adds up to a lot of work.

> 2. EMails (lots of them, filtering, PGP would be great ;)
>    [handling around 300 mails a day]
Celeste is pretty good but not very pretty. That could be fixed.

> 3. Telnet (thats one of the most important things in my life :)
>    [is there SSH available too??] <grin>
I think telnet is there but ssh is not. I could be wrong. I don't think there is currently any support for secure socket stuff.

> 4. Document preparation
>    (usually LaTeX, would like some way to view .ps files)
No idea

> 5. Journal keeping (pure text, almost 8 years of data, need some
>    encryption technique, certainly wouldn't want my to-be wife to
>    read _some_ of those entries ;)
There's a file system; you could store files in a suitable directory structure. You could use a locally hosted swiki. Many good options here.

> 6. A bit of music (mostly MP3)
See MPegPlayer.

> 7. A bit of drawing (mostly rough concept drawings done while on
>    the move)
There are options ranging from using or extendingthe painter for morphs to HotDraw to Ned's connectors to doing a new one.

> 8. PIM (Schedules, AddressBook)
See class PDA

tim
Useful random insult:- Ready to join the Anti-Mensa Society.