Squeak for everyday use??

Andy Stoffel Andrew.Stoffel at jenzabar.net
Tue Mar 26 21:28:09 UTC 2002

 Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at vsnl.com> is claimed by the
> authorities to have written:

> > 3. Telnet (thats one of the most important things in my life :)
> >    [is there SSH available too??] <grin>

> I think telnet is there but ssh is not. I could be wrong.

Has telnet support improved recently ?

Hmm..... TelnetMachine open. Nope.

Of course, there's the old adage that supporting telnet is not
the same as providing useful terminal emulation. If you look at
the comments for TelnetMachine you'll see it says:

"The beginnings of a telnet terminal,"

It'll probably stay that way until someone actually needs
it to be better and can spend the time to make it better.
(Wish I knew enough myself to do it... but not yet %-( )

Also see: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1523

Unless you could use David Lewis' CommandShell & OSProcess
to get what you need (I've never used them so I don't know
if they can do that - be a telnet substitute ?)

-Andy-