Squeak for everyday use??

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Tue Mar 26 22:27:18 UTC 2002

>Woops, did I p*** someone off?
>I am sorry.
>
>But frankly, Morphic *is* really heavy on resources.
>Isn't it?
>:)

Here's my opinion.  I don't think there is much to the morphic approach that is intrinsically heavier on resources than any other approach (and I assume this is the comparison most people care about here).

There is lots of extra baggage in morphic right now because lots of people are adding stuff, and have done so for half a decade.  I personally have gone on about three crusades to make things run faster in morphic, only to discover that things I made efficient on the last go-round had been defeated again by recently added features.  [this is not an accusation, but an illustration of Squeak's current state of non-optimization]

This is an inevitable characteristic of evolving, and especially multi-authored and under-documented, projects.

In fact morphic is frequently lean on memory resources compared to MVC's saved bitmaps behind every window (you can turn these off, but then things flash a lot).  Numerous features such as rounded corners, and rounded scroll bars and the like force Morphic to do a lot of extra work, but these situations, too, can be dealt with any time we decide things are stable long enough to merit some serious performance tuning.

Also, we have long forgotten and, because we are not yet using the module system we have not yet relearned, that morphic by itself is not all that large.  I recently built a real-world commercial application about which I will tell all in a week.  I chose to do it in morphic, and I was delighted to find how much could be thrown away, and how adequately things performed with a modicum of tweaking.  I test it on a used 133MHz Windoze laptop.

So, I would answer that, as it comes, and if you use the expensive and untuned options, yes, morphic is a bit of a resource hog.  But I would add that, given some real-world application that you want to deliver, morphic can fairly easily be tweaked to MVC-level performance in speed and space with not more than a couple of man-weeks' effort by a knowledgeable and performance-passionate Squeaker.

YMMV of course...

	- Dan