Modules comments and observations

John-Martin jmlotzn1 at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 27 11:23:35 UTC 2002

A couple of preliminary notes

While I am a reasonably experienced programmer,
I'd class myself as a newbie in Squeak. or at best a
recreational Squeaker so it's possible I'm missing
something glaringly obvious.

I have recently upgraded from 3.0 to 3.3a.

I have been playing around with an idea for a experiment
I wanted to try, and fired up my new 3.3a with its
associated image. and as I was used to doing opened the
browser and went to add a new category to hold the
project's classes.  This time I got an error.  "Error,
You cant do it this way with modules.  Categories are
computed from module paths" I tracked the error back to
Squeak Language Modules module.  after a period of futzing
around on the squeak.org module discussion and the code,
I finally got People-JML as a category.  I couldn't figure
out how to create a JML module under People.

Question:  How do I create my own module hierarchy under people
as is apparently the plan?

Observation:  It appears a lot of the web instruction in squeak
is now broken, I am curious how someone relying on Book and Web
Resource to wrap their heads around or keep up to date in Squeak
will get or the hump of having the first instructions, 'create a
new category' come back with an error.  A good tutorial lesson
on the subject prominently pointed to might be nice.

Observation:  The error message is poorly written.  I would suggest
the correct procedure, what ever it is, be included somewhere in
error message.

Observation:  The comments in the class description are weak, as
is the discussion in Squeak.org.  A better description of the
goals of the class might be in order.

jml