Modules comments and observations

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Mar 27 12:02:44 UTC 2002

To begin with - this mailinglist loves questions. We are a kind bunch
that gladly help out newbies.
But remember that Squeak is a community effort, we do the best we can.

John-Martin <jmlotzn1 at pacbell.net> wrote:
> A couple of preliminary notes
>
> While I am a reasonably experienced programmer,
> I'd class myself as a newbie in Squeak. or at best a
> recreational Squeaker so it's possible I'm missing
> something glaringly obvious.
>
> I have recently upgraded from 3.0 to 3.3a.

Bad move if you are trying to learn Squeak.
Alpha means... ALPHA. It's where things EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE.

> I have been playing around with an idea for a experiment
> I wanted to try, and fired up my new 3.3a with its
> associated image. and as I was used to doing opened the
> browser and went to add a new category to hold the
> project's classes.  This time I got an error.  "Error,
> You cant do it this way with modules.  Categories are
> computed from module paths" I tracked the error back to

Yes, problem already discussed on this list (as you would have found out
if you searched any of the archives).
The modules system in 3.3a is not finished.

> Squeak Language Modules module.  after a period of futzing
> around on the squeak.org module discussion and the code,
> I finally got People-JML as a category.  I couldn't figure
> out how to create a JML module under People.

The Squeak Swiki is the center for documents regarding most things in
Squeak.
Did you bother to look there? ;-) There are quite a lot of stuff written
there, still in a big heap of course...

> Question:  How do I create my own module hierarchy under people
> as is apparently the plan?

Check Swiki.

> Observation:  It appears a lot of the web instruction in squeak
> is now broken, I am curious how someone relying on Book and Web
> Resource to wrap their heads around or keep up to date in Squeak
> will get or the hump of having the first instructions, 'create a
> new category' come back with an error.  A good tutorial lesson
> on the subject prominently pointed to might be nice.

Yep. Of course. There are lots of things that would be nice.
But since the code isn't even there yet we wait aren't writing tutorials
for it.

> Observation:  The error message is poorly written.  I would suggest
> the correct procedure, what ever it is, be included somewhere in
> error message.

The message is meant for an experienced alpha developer that knows what
is going on.
Heck, the menu choice shouldn't even be there - Henrik has just patched
it up so that it doesn't go BOOM.

> Observation:  The comments in the class description are weak, as
> is the discussion in Squeak.org.  A better description of the
> goals of the class might be in order.

Again, check the Swiki.

regards, Göran

PS. Did not mean to come down too hard... We gladly answer any and all
questions on this list but if you dig around in the alpha version and
you haven't checked the mailinglist archives nor the Swiki for
information you seek then you almost deserve a little smack on the head.