Real printing plugin?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 28 06:42:37 UTC 2002

>>The physical reality is that the resolution is 96 dpi.
>
>I'd bet with you that if you measured it really carefully, it would
>turn out NOT to be 96 dpi.

Mmm I've been watch this discussion with some interest and I guess I
add a few points.

1) I bet on the mac people think Squeak works in 72 dpi
2) I bet on windows people think Squeak works in 96 dpi

Squeak isn't resolution dependent.

a) never was designed up front for that.
b) The mac calls will lie about screen resolution depending on hardware
c) Various people writing bits of code in the VM and the image never
thought about these issues.

So really if there is a scaling problem, it's more likely you need to
ask the user what he thinks the resolution is, then deal with it via
Smalltalk code.

Writing this support into the VM, although it's been mentioned as
*easy* might not be as straight forward as you think.

a) Mac system 7.5.5 thru OS 10.1.3 have different viewpoints on the
ability and how to get at this stuff.
b) It's C code that only a few of us work on.
c) Vendors make unpleasant changes in the API, or introduce bugs.

Therefore tackling the issue just requires a bunch of programming,
hopefully in Smalltalk. I wouldn't consider it difficult, but since I
don't need it, then well it's doubtful I'd do it, unless someone
twists my arm, but then who will do the windows work?

I'll note of course the thread title was really on macintosh printing
via forms, the reason I choose that is because many printers don't
support postscript and this was a way to enable printing without
having to deal with correct postscript generation, which is at the
heart of this issue.

If you need postscript printing it would seem there is lots of work
to do to make it work. Also enabling it so that you can do proper
postscript escape work within the macintosh printing architecture
would be nice too.