Squeak after MajorShrink...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 28 20:45:43 UTC 2002

>:P
>
>I used the image which came with Squeak 3.0
>I used "MajorShrinkFor3.0.cs", filed in and executed.
>
>Final image size is 882Kb
>I was looking around for a smaller sized faster VM, any idea where that new
>Jitter one is stored?
>(and is there one for MacOS?)
>
>Eagerly awaiting your reply.

Well if you custom build a mac vm there is some #defines to reduce
the memory footprint by making smaller arrays etc. In the past I
build a mac VM that would enable you to run a minimal image in about
1MB of memory. But I'd think you could run an image and the VM in 4MB
or so, macs usually have a bit more memory in them.

Mmm faster, well I'm not sure what magic you could do to make the
production VM faster, there is of course change sets (like the block
closure ones, caches changes, slang changes, etc) lurking outside the
update stream to make things a bit (somewhat, a lot, maybe, could be)
faster.