MajorShrink for 3.2 (was Re: Shrinking Squeak...)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Mar 28 21:07:59 UTC 2002

"Göran Hultgren" wrote:

> --- Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > I'd say there is a very good chance of being able to make an image that zips to 5-6Mb even with
> > all the morphic stuff and eToys etc. The vm can unzip it on loadup, probably almost as fast as
> > it could read it directly. (Depends heavily on many details of course)
>
> My experiment (yeah, I should post it on minnow) some week ago on 3.2g got down to 5.5Mb with
> Morphic still in - no real fancy shrinking applied, just the standard stuff available on the Swiki
> (although I fiddled a bit). I don't remember if I removed eToys (whatever that really consists of)
> - might have. That is uncompressed. I compressed it for fun and landed on a complete zip with VM
> etc on 3.5 Mb I think.

This reminds me that since 3.2 will be finalized soon (in theory), now might be a good time to fix #majorShrink one last time for the release.  Since 3.3alpha has modules, hopefully majorShrink will eventually become irrelevant as module unloading starts to work, and then majorShrink can be removed from 3.3.

So if someone has fixes available for majorShrink for 3.2, I'd say go ahead and submit them to the list so that they can be incorporated.  (Unless SqC is already working on this, but I don't think they are.)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com