Apple hyping java...

Todd Blanchard todd.blanchard at cacheon.com
Fri Mar 29 22:05:59 UTC 2002

Relax, its marketing.

Internally, Apple does everything in ObjectiveC.  They view it as a sort
of secret weapon though.  The Java stuff is to get the J-Heads over to
the Mac.  Once there, I believe it is hoped they will look around at the
Cocoa stuff and maybe give it a whirl.  If they do, they'll be hooked.

Also, in their defense, squeak is not a production platform.

Specifically, the UI kit is raw (not that swing is all that good) and
quirky.  Squeak has a great deal of potential that I feel remains
untapped, primarily because its been a reasearch platform.  People try
things, they learn things, maybe they clean some of it up, but mostly
they move on and try new things.

Oh yeah, Java SUCKS.
I am trying to see if I like bistro though...