Comments welcome: designer look for squeak - User friendliness..

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Mar 30 16:15:46 UTC 2002

On Saturday 30 March 2002 06:15 am, Serg Koren wrote:

> A real problem (again related to this list) is that to a newbie, Squeak
> is a moving target.  There are changesets, and fileins, and enhancements
> and so on released every day on this list and to corporate types this
> sounds like "Squeak is undone and unstable, why should I bet on
> something that is never done...  I want to make money, not spend time
> updating my software."

But if you aren't on the list, you don't have to even deal with the changes.
The current version (3.0) is plenty stable for real work. As was 2.8.

Sure, people are improving it day by day. It's just that most of that
activity is happening on the list where it is semi-public.

Compare this situation to a similar situation in the Linux world: if I were
deploying a server right now, I'd use a 2.4 kernel. If I were developing
Linux itself, I'd be concerned with the 2.5 branch.

But, as far as I can tell, Squeak Central is not much interested in promoting
Squeak as a corporate replacement for Java. They have their own uses for
Squeak. Some people are interested in using Squeak to deploy applications
(and some have); the discussion around "Stable Squeak" reflected their
concerns. The modules system (which is not yet ready for the world at large)
is a response (in part) to their concerns.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com