Apple hyping java...

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Mar 30 19:27:57 UTC 2002

Hi

I do not have the expertise but I would like to know how we could improve
the thread model of Squeak. I started to look at Mozart which apparently has
a good thread model and was wondering if it could be possible to imporve the
one of Squeak.

Have you any intention in this direction? Squeak belongs also to the people
that improve it ;)

> My one reservation is the threads.  Squeak (which is both a language
> and an implementation) is, to my taste, weak there.  Java, a
> language, is usually implemented with crappy threads.  My employer/
> company (NaturalBridge) did a Java implementation that supports about
> 30,000 threads, which is "enough" for now, though in my personal
> opinion clearly still limited.  Sun's trying to promote
> asynchronous I/O (in jdk1.4) instead of cheap threads, which I
> think is just plain insane on several counts.  It is vastly
> easier to write (something like) a web server or transaction
> processing engine if the code you are writing is structured
> as a thread (or two) per transaction.  If Squeak has expensive
> threads (like most Java implementations, not like NaturalBridge's,
> not like Erlang) it will be somewhat limited for a class of
> applications where I think it would actually be rather well-suited.

Stef