Squeak as a toy for developer's of Squeak -- not a developer's tool

Chris Becker chb99 at msn.com
Sat Mar 30 20:04:50 UTC 2002

Serg Koren wrote:

><snip>
>
>I found it sad that people on here scoffed at Apple promoting
>Java as the only viable cross-platform tool.  The point is, IT IS.
>Squeak (the implied thought by the scoffers) is NOT a serious
>development platform (despite what people on here may think)
>BECAUSE OF THE MINDSET OF THE CORE DEVELOPERS
>AND MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THE LIST.
>
>Stop thinking of Squeak as your OWN little toy.  Start thinking
>of it and treating it as a production-quality tool, and you may
>get somewhere.
>
></snip>

No, Serg, Java is a "serious" development platform because Sun *owns* it and
wants to make *money* off it. It is part of their revenue stream. They
*control* it. Sun has a huge monetary incentive to sell Java to the
development community, support it, and improve it. Sun has an abundance of
*paid employees* who work *full time* to make production-quality tools. What
incentive do we, the Squeak developer's community, have to improve Squeak?
Are we being paid to work on it full time? Is Squeak Central making money
off it? No.

The things you find in Squeak belong to the community because the Squeak
community created them. This community isn't doing it for profit. They're
doing it because they *enjoy* it and like sharing with others.

Back in the 70s, people were really into sharing programs with each other
until this guy named Bill Gates came along and start making money off it.
Nothing wrong with that. In fact, Microsoft's subsequent profitability has
brought careers and fortunes to many. That's a great thing. But making
money, unfortunately, takes the *fun* out of things. It drives people to
compete instead of share.

Squeak, like Linux, embodies both a creative and sharing spirit. That's not
going to change. Thankfully. Ideas are great, but solutions are far better.
Share some solutions with us! Help Squeak be better! Don't come here and
treat us like a bunch of rubes that don't know its potential. We know its
potential. That's why we *use* it more than we complain about it!

Chris Becker