Apple hyping java...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 31 21:52:04 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 03:57:50PM -0500, David Chase wrote:

> I've written a number of compilers, looked at many more.  I've
> written a fair amount of code in Lisp and BCPL, and had quite
> good luck with some untyped C code that I wrote long ago (all
> roads lead to void *).  I spent a good long time playing with
> functional languages (wrote an FP84 interpreter in BCPL, even).
> I'm not stupid, I'm not inexperienced.

BCPL is of course on the extreme opposite end of the hype spectrum from
Java. Interested Squeakers should visit http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/mr.
The language is described in "BCPL, the Language and Its Compiler",
Martin Richards and Colin Whitby-Strevens, Cambridge University Press,
ISBN 0 521 28681.

The possibilities are endless, possibly recursively so:
- Squeak VM in BCPL, with Slang tranlated to BCPL rather than C
- BCPL compiled to Squeak bytecode, running on Squeak VM
- BCPL bytecode interpreter hosted in Squeak
- A simulation of Tripos in Squeak, for hosting BCPL programs

I'm about half serious, this would be a fun thing to do.

Dave