[e-lang] Java Serialization Re: Alan Kay in the News

Rob Withers rwithers12 at attbi.com
Wed May 1 04:59:30 UTC 2002

"Mark S. Miller" <markm at caplet.com> wrote:
> At 04:19 PM 4/30/2002 Tuesday, Blaine Buxton wrote:
> >I am currently working on reading in Java Serialized Files as we speak into
> >Squeak. Right now, I have simple serialized java objects working (in other
> >words, they don't override the serialization interface (custom serialization) nor implements
> >externalizable), but I should have that working soon.
>
> That's great!  CapTP currently uses Java serialization.  I don't like that

That is great!  Blaine, I'd be very interested to see your work.  I
tried extending Goran's Brimstone framework with a Java Parser, but
quicky realized that it was a tangent I didn't want to take.  The result
is the eventual sending framework.  Do you happen to have a Java Parser
in squeak?

> for all the reasons you mention, and wish to eventually switch to an
> alternative, as we've been discussing.  However, it sounds like your work
> would enable Rob's Squeak-E efforts to interoperate with the current E
> before we figure out the right serialization answer.  That'd be great for a

Yes!  This would allow a quick jump from a baseline squeak distributed
model (what I am doing now) to a CapTP implementation.  :)

> number of reasons, but especially because we'd then be trying to find the
> right answer after some experience running cross platform.  Do you also

This is the exact reason I am doing a squeak only distribution first.
To get some experience running eventual sending cross image.  It seems
that I am a step behind.

> expect to be able to write Java serialization streams?  That would be
> necessary of course.
>
> Rob, does this sound like it could work for you?

Certainment!

cheers,
Rob