Which book

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Wed May 1 18:41:21 UTC 2002

I've seen mention of several Squeak books here on the list and on
c.l.s., but I want to know which one(s) would be a good fit for me.  I
looked at reviews on Amazon.com and it wasn't obvious, based on my
skills and current needs.

I am currently employed as a Smalltalk developer and have a decent grasp
of Smalltalk, specifically the VisualWorks flavor.  I've also done a lot
of other programming, including Perl, PL/SQL, VB, C/C++, and others.

I want to build a multimedia PC for my home and have a Squeak-based
frontend to control it.  The only display will be my television and the
only input will be a remote control, presumably with an arrow pad (left,
right, up, down) and not a mouse or trackball.  I want it to be the
following: an MP3 jukebox, an answering machine, a tv tuner and PVR, a
video (i.e. MPEG, DiVX, WMA) library, and an app launcher for games.
 I'll be making this freely available, by the way, and would be glad to
have help if anyone is interested.

Can anyone recommend which Squeak book to buy?  Projects that may have
attempted this type of thing?  Caveats about my dream system?  Thanks!

Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"The oldest one captains the bleak white ship of bone with palsied hands
The one of middle years wears a hope like chains
The youngest one cries tears of scarlet, and adjusts her latest smile"
-- ToasterLeavings