Which version of 3.2?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu May 2 20:47:07 UTC 2002

>Hi Gang,
>
>First, has 3.2 been finalized yet? I'm using a Macintosh with OSX
>and want to use
>a carbonized version of Squeak, since the cocoa version is not apparently not
>as far along. From the UIUC archives, I see that there is a
>Squeak3.2gamma-4827 (4/18/02) and a squeak3.2.3b2-mac-carbon-vm.sit
>(2/8/02). Is this a good combination? Or, is
>squeak3.2.6b8-mac-vm.sit (3/26/02)
>a better choice? Or, do I have to try different combinations until I
>find something
>that works? :-)
>
>Finally, how far apart are the carbon and cocoa versions at this
>point in time?

Mmm the Carbon port is somewhat the original C code from way way
back. Yes it still runs under system 7.5.5. The Cocoa port, is obj-c
So they really have no common code overlap. But there are features in
the Cocoa port that will never be in the Carbon port because of what
Cocoa is.

3.2.7b3 mac VM is the better choice. All other versions have
interesting bugs, and as I pointed out this morning they are 10%
slower. This includes the classic version too under os7/8/9. So one
should upgrade...