Squeak, MP3 and ID3

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri May 3 00:58:47 UTC 2002

>Hi All -
>
>As I've mentioned, I'm playing with mp3s and Squeak (and growing to
>enjoy Squeak very quickly).  It would appear that the 3.1 beta image
>cannot play mp3 files with ID3v2 tags.  Does anyone know if this is
>the expected behavior?  When I debug
>
>StreamingMP3Sound openFile: 'foo.mp3'
>
>where foo.mp3 has an ID3v2 tag, I find that in
>
>StreamingMP3Sound>>initMPEGHandle:StreamIndex: where it tries to
>count the number of samples with
>
>totalSamples _ mpegHandle audioSamples: mpegStreamIndex.
>
>totalSamples ends up as 0.  It appears that it recognizes the file
>as an mp3 file, but won't play it.  I did some poking around in
>libmpeg3 and the plugin source derived from it and found little
>regarding ID3 at all.
>
>If it turns out that libmpeg3 just doesn't support ID3, I can
>contact the author and find out whether he'd accept a patch.  Or are
>there other libs that might be better suited for mp3 playback that I
>could write an interface to?  It appears that you've done a lot of
>this work, John - what are your thoughts?
>
>Jason Dufair

You'll find the original source is now on sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/heroines/
http://heroines.sourceforge.net/libmpeg3.php3

our branched code (sublicensed as Squeak-L or LGPL) is at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeak/

Go look at the original source code and see if they have
patch/upgraded it to support ID3v2 tags.

Our branch of the code contains a few changes to make it compile on
the macintosh, some preformance mods, and removal of the D e C S S
code and the AC3 code.

When I looked into this (MP3 libraries) a few years back I found
other libraries are yucky!!!!

Of course maybe someone should build a http://www.vorbis.com/ plugin...