[Q] [VM] [FreeBSD] Plugins

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri May 3 21:09:50 UTC 2002

Nevin Pratt <nevin at smalltalkpro.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I've been able to successfully build several VM's on my FreeBSD box.
>
> Unfortunately, *every* VM I build exhibits extremely slow performance
> for answering web requests when using Comanche.  The browser on the
> other end of the network link just waits and waits, then gets a little
> data, then waits and waits some more, then gets a little more data, etc.
>  It's extremely painful.
There's been some recent discussion about sockets, semaphores etc and I
think I noticed that Comanche suffered from the latest attempt. You
could try retreiving a week or so old copy of
platforms/unix/plugins/SocketPlugin/sqUnixSockets.c which would almost
surely have the bugs that were being attacked but at least seems to do
Comanche ok.

tim

Unprecedented performance: Nothing ever ran this slow before.