Squeak, MP3 and ID3

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Fri May 3 21:37:28 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh wrote:

> You'll find the original source is now on sourceforge.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/heroines/
> http://heroines.sourceforge.net/libmpeg3.php3
>

> our branched code (sublicensed as Squeak-L or LGPL) is at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeak/
>
> Go look at the original source code and see if they have
> patch/upgraded it to support ID3v2 tags.
>
> Our branch of the code contains a few changes to make it compile on
> the macintosh, some preformance mods, and removal of the D e C S S
> code and the AC3 code.
>
> When I looked into this (MP3 libraries) a few years back I found other
> libraries are yucky!!!!
>
> Of course maybe someone should build a http://www.vorbis.com/ plugin...

Well, I've done a fair bit of poking around (learning far more than I'd
planned about mp3 and id3 file formats!), and it does appear that the
lib is *trying* to work with id3v2 tagged files.  It recognizes the
id3v2 header, but nonetheless answers that the file has 0 samples.  I've
verified this on several ID3v2 tagged files.  Somehow it seems to have
trouble seeking to the first mpeg frame somehow.

I want to try and debug this, but it appears that I'm going to have to
learn a heck of a lot more about the nuts and bolts of Squeak first.  Is
the dll/so/(whatever macs use) compiled from the c source or is it
somehow translated to slang and compiled that way?  It would seem the
latter is the case, but it's hard to tell, having only really used
squeak for a few days.

I'm thinking I'll first compile and test the latest libmpeg3 and see if
it can handle the tags.  If not, I'll see if I can work with the guy at
Heroine Virtual to get it patched.  If so, how difficult would it be to
update the Squeak plugin with the latest version of libmpeg3?  Just
trying to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Thanks for all your help, John and everyone.

Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"God damn the hands of glory that hold the bloody firebrand high
Close the book and end the story of how so many men have died
Let the world retain in memory that mighty tongues tell might lies,
And if mankind must have an enemy let it be his warlike pride..."
-- Bruce Cockburn