Squeak, MP3 and ID3

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Sat May 4 04:55:59 UTC 2002

Thanks, Joern.  This is extremely encouraging!  Looks like I'm be much
closer to building my jukebox than I thought I'd be less than a week
into it.

I did some more investigation and indeed, Squeak will play *some* files
with id3v2 tags.  The ones it's choking on seem to be ones where there
is binary data in the id3v2 header.  Specifically, an MPEG frame starts
with 11 bits, all set to 1.  The files where it has trouble all seem to
have this in the id3v2 header.  I have compiled the latest libmpeg3 on
my Linux box.  I will sic it on some of these more complex tags and see
how it does.  The library seems to be doing a blind seek for 0xFF and
finding it in the binary id3v2 header.  I'll be looking at that next.

The irony of all of this is that my collection is 99% ripped and encoded
by me from my own CD collection.  I'm not much into trading copyrighted
stuff.  I do have a few rarities, though, and those are the dogs.

On a related note, I did some looking into Ogg Vorbis today and it has
come a *long* way since the last time I looked at it.  I did a
side-by-side comparison btw lame 3.8.x and oggenc rc3 and for the same
bitrate, the ogg sounded noticeably better.  Last time I did this, it
sounded noticeably worse.  Additionally, the top quality ogg (-q 10) was
indistinguishable from the wav file to my ears on a decent pair (~US$45
Sony) of headphones.  So I may well get to work on a Vorbis plugin,
especially since the mp3 issue should be fairly easy to fix at this point.