Smalltalk Solutions

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Sat May 4 13:36:26 UTC 2002

On behalf of the organizing committee I'd like to thank everyone who
participated in Smalltalk Solutions 2002. It was a great show, and I
personally had the opportunity to hear some excellent talks and to network
with some great Smalltalkers.

This year's attendance, at around 180 wasn't as good last year's amazing
300+, but in the current economic climate that's not surprising and is
something that has affected all conferences this year. I was very happy
with the turnout, with the technical program, and most of all with the
general atmosphere and enthusiasm.

For those of you who weren't able to go, I'd just like to say that you
missed a great show. I'm happy to be able to say that there are now too
many high-quality Smalltalk events in a year to go to all of them, so I
hope to see you all around at other events and at next year's conference.
So you can see what you've missed, we'll be making slides of the
presentations and pictures available at http://www.smalltalksolutions.com
shortly. there are trip reports online by John McIntosh at
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/Smalltalk+Solutions+2002+Trip+report
and Niall Ross at
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/DOWNLOAD/nfrStS2002+report.pdf
We also have video of some of the sessions, and we hope to make that
available on-line and perhaps even on a disc. So that you'll be ready for
next year, let me re-assure you that planning has already begun for
Smalltalk Solutions 2003, and we expect to have a location chosen within
the next two months.

I'd like to thank all the organizers, who put in a huge amount of work to
make this show possible, particularly Andrew Ignatow and Joy Murray of
Cincom. I'd also like to thank the sponsors, without whom the conference
would not have been possible. These are good companies. Buy their products.
Special thanks to all the presenters, for sharing their knowledge and
experience with us. And, of course, thanks to everyone who attended.

Thank you,

--
Alan Knight [|], Technical co-chair, Smalltalk Solutions 2002
knight at acm.org
http://www.smalltalksolutions.com