[Bug] [VM] [Linux] VMMaker experience

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Sat May 4 16:21:44 UTC 2002

Serge Stinckwich wrote:

>>         PROBLEM #3: WHERE SHOULD YOU PUT THE 'build' DIRECTORY?  WHY
>>DID I NEED TO CREATE THIS 'src' LINK?  ARE THESE TWO ISSUES RELATED?
>>

>src, build and platforms should be at the same level just under the top-level
>directory squeak.

Which is the equivalent of what I had after I put the link in.

But, this means that, in the VMMakerTool, the "Path to platforms code"
and "Path to generated sources" should both have the same prefix,
differing only in the last word, for which the "Path to platforms code"
should show 'platforms' as the last word (i.e., last directory in the
path), and the "Path to generated sources" should show 'src'.

In other words, the "Path to generated sources" in the VMMakerTool is
completely misleading, because that parameter really isn't user
configurable, but instead is dependent entirely upon the "Path to
platforms code" setting, and the user better get it right or things
won't work.

Obviously something needs some more work somewhere :-)

Nevin