Squeak, MP3, ID3V2 update

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun May 5 18:38:21 UTC 2002

>After a bit more poking around, I have confirmed that libmpeg3 is
>having difficulty with id3v2 tags that have binary data in them.
>I've contacted the author(s) to see if they'll accept a patch to
>move the frame pointer beyond the id3v2 tag.  While it is a small
>percentage of files that have this, I'd rather we were able to play
>*all* files if possible.  The culprit guilty of putting binary data
>in the header, by the way, is the god-forsaken RealJukebox.  Thanks
>for everyone's help. I'll let you know if/when I have the lib
>patched.

Hi, reviewing their source, versus our branch would be good.

I'll note this change I made a year back in output.c

I've coded up mpeg3video_ditherframeFastRGB555 and
mpeg3video_ditherframeFastRGBA which  do specialized 16 and 32 bit
Crb to rgb mapping (Intel should do this too?)
I also coded up clip arrays versus using CLIP() This avoid
test/branchs which slows things down

Although the ditherframeFastRGB555 & ditherframeFastRGBA is mac
specific. One could code up an intel version, I had done this to
remove the generic checking etc that goes on in the generic code.

But the bigger gain is the removal of the CLIP() which resulted in a
test and branch for every pixel. Now we just do a load and that made
quite a few percents of different. That could get folded back into
the original source

Note still looking for someone to build a current windows version.