Stable 3.1beta for Unix

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Mon May 6 08:13:54 UTC 2002

Folks,

On the offchance that there's anybody out there who still cares about
my VM, I've put an updated 3.1beta in the usual place (source and
binaries):

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak

Since 3.1beta-4478pre1:

  - much tidying up of the X code, with lots of small annoyances (and
    one serious synchronisation problem that was causing "delays" in
    mouse events) fixed

  - mouse wheel works again (wheel scrolls selection, wheel+ctrl scrolls
    the pane)

  - buttons are where they should be (with a new option `-swapbtn'
    which exchanges yellow and blue -- sometimes preferable on
    two-button mice)

  - modifier mappings are saner (on Apple keyboards they should now be
    identical to MacOS; for non-Apple keyboards there's a switch
    `-swapmod' to make life easier in some cases)

  - delete is not mapped to backspace (it hasn't been for a while,
    so that recent thread perplexed me a little... but in any case,
    there's now an option `-mapdelbs' to turn it on)

  - additions to man page for new options / env vars

  - thorough overhaul of asynchronous i/o and socket code (which
    appears to be way more robust than it's ever been: *many* thanks
    to John Mc for providing me with his SUnit tests and helping to
    hammer on sockets in all manner of cruel and unusual ways, and
    to Goran Hultgren for insisting in the first place)

Precompiled binaries are available for:

    powerpc-netbsd
    powerpc-linux-gnu
    intel-linux-gnu
    sparc-solaris

If anyone still cares about alpha-osf1, let me know.

The Linux VMs have OSS sound by default.  To get NAS support either
recompile from source or send me mail telling me which platform.

As usual, if you have problems, please let me know via email (or send
to the list, but _please_ `cc:' a copy to me too so I don't miss it).

Some of the sqXWin work required significant changes to the old-style
input code.  I've tested it for a few hours with a couple of pre-event
images (2.7 and 2.8), but there might still be surprises lurking.

3.2g/3.3a in a day or two (after some sleep ;).  Maybe even VMMaker...

Ian