rounded corners (was: Re: straw-man 3.2 default preferences)

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Mon May 6 18:03:53 UTC 2002

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Amidst all the debate on rounded corners,
> may I make an obvious point?
>
> "Screen real-estate is a scarce resource."
> But rounding the corners of a window reduces the usable area.
> This is fine for buttons, not so fine for drawings and text.
>
> It means that text has to be inset further than might otherwise
> be the case so that the bottom line is legible.

This is a big part of why I happen to like rounding the window title
bars only (since I think it looks nice), while leaving the bottom
corners on the windows square (since roundness there impacts the
usability of the full "interesting" part of the window).  It's a
change I've made to my own images a few times in the past.  I think I
even submitted it as a goodie once ("Half-rounded windows").

(One thing I didn't like about the goodie was that it introduced yet
another binary preference, where a more sensible approach would
probably have been to introduce a three-valued preference: Window
corners #square, #rounded, or #halfRounded.  Is there any foundation
for easily supporting this kind of preference?  I think there are a
couple of places in the existing preferecne structure that could
benefit from collapsing non-independent preferences in this way,
though they evade me at the moment.)

-Jesse